Maybe it’s your first time taking professional photos together or a little added pressure now being engaged . But engagement photos are a friggin blast and you need to just have fun with it! Every photographer will have a different approach to things but here are some tips, tricks, outfit inspos and random things to keep in mind.
- If you are planning on lining up hair, makeup or any other arrangements for your shoot, please understand that there will always be a risk of cancellations (weather, sickness etc…) .
- Unless otherwise talked about, I will not be shooting in Toronto or any over populated shooting locations for 2022 engagements.
- Due to the current year we’ve had, it will not be a given that I will be able to travel outside of one hour from KW (Kitchener Waterloo ) area. Please touch base if you have your heart set on a location further out.
- My availability is spaced out between weddings + other engagement shoots to assure a safe surrounding for all of us. I will not be shooting on any other days. Thanks for understanding.
- You're gallery will be delivered 1-4 days after your engagement session is finished.
Tips for you.
- Get there a little early. Not for me, but for you. Get out, stretch, fool around and scope the area out. Shake the nerves out and just have a moment with the two of you.
- Understand+accept that its going to be a bit out of your comfort zone but the faster you accept that, the better the result. There will be a few prompts and positions you’ve probably never done but just roll with it and make the best out of it. The outcome will be amazing
- Make a day out of it! One of the best pieces of advice i’ve heard from couples is to make your engagement session part of a day-long date. Not only does this give you plenty of time for photos without feeling rushed, but starting your day in this mindset helps you feel connected and romantic as you head into the photo shoot.
- Bring a bottle of champagne lets make it explode and have a toast. It makes for some really cool/fun photos
- Kiss whenever you want to kiss, talk whenever you want to talk and touch whenever you want to touch. Honestly some of my favourite moments + photos come a lot from random hand holding, touching and kissing.
- Schedule your session around the sun! You may have heard that there are certain times of the day that are better for photos and that’s all because of the light! Golden hour, which is that beautiful time of day just before the sun sets is when you want to shoot if you’re looking for that glorious, golden light in your photos. It’s important to be aware of when the sun is going to set (you can check your weather app to find this out!) so that you have plenty of time to shoot before the light is gone. The early afternoon may sound like a good time for photos schedule-wise, but keep in mind that the light is much harsher at this time because the sun is directly overhead. Early, early morning light can also be magical, so you may want to consider a sunrise session where you arrive at your first location just as the sun starts to rise.
Clothing is a big part of your engagement session. Think about different clothing inspiration and don't be scared to get a
little fun with your outfits!
- Choose outfits that make you feel like a million bucks. If you do purchase something new, take it out for a test run.As much as you consider how your engagement outfits make you feel, think also about how they’ll photograph during your session. For the ladies,I recommend choosing pieces that flow nicely as you move, especially if you’re doing your photos outdoors.
- Think about the location and the vision you have.
- Do you like hats? Bring em! (or any accessory).
- Be sure to de-wrinkle your clothes before your session. A photographer’s least favorite question is “can you just Photoshop that out later?” . Save yourself the stress and get wrinkle free ahead of time!
- Bring shoes that are nice, comfortable and willing to get dirty. You never know where we end up!
Click below to checkout my outfit idea mood board on Pinterest.